Saturday, April 15, 2006

Chapter 2

I first met Elsa two years ago, while I was at the Art Cafe having coffee and waiting for Kaelyn to finish “visiting” with her boyfriend, Dean (now her ex).

Dean lived with his mother and two brothers at Plaza Damas’s service apartments. Very posh, very comfortable. The moment I saw the place, I told Kaelyn that my dream would be to stay at a place just like that – where there are quaint cafes and shops just downstairs from my unit, like in France, or Italy; where you wake up to the smell of newly-baked bread and fresh coffee, and everyone will greet you by your name, and when you walk into the cafes all you have to say is “the usual, please!”. And Kaelyn, being the silly girl that she is, told me that Dean has an older brother, and maybe if I got together with him, I could, eventually, be enjoying just the sort of life I was dreaming about. Yeah right, why do I need to depend on a man to achieve my own dreams? Like I said, Kaelyn can be quite silly at times.

"Kaelyn, are you done yet? I'll be gaining weight if you take any longer! Gosh, the
baguette looks yum!"

Anyway, I was just sitting there, sipping my coffee and reading some messages on the café’s notice board, when someone spoke from behind me.

“Do you stay around the area?”

I turned around to find a woman in her late 30s, dressed like most of the tai-tais around the area, in stylish Capri pants, a designer top and Tiffany’s earrings. I remember thinking that she had a very good figure too.

“Oh, erm, no, I’m just, erm, waiting for a friend. She’s visiting a friend of hers who’s staying around here.” I was babbling like an idiot, I wasn’t sure why. Maybe it was being around these posh people, it felt like I needed a different set of social skills just to be in the same room with them.

“Oh, is that right? Well, I just thought maybe you were from the area too, cos I recall seeing you here a few times, reading magazines and having coffee with your friends.”

I’d only been there twice, but I didn’t realize I made such a notable and memorable impression! Oh wow! Maybe it was my new mascara; it really pumped up and lengthened my lashes, making my eyes look huge! Hmmm, or maybe the woman had mistaken me for someone else? Yeah, that seemed more likely, and I politely told her so. But she smiled and shook her head.

“Oh no, my dear, I never forget a face! I always remember a face even when I don’t remember the name. That’s why my customers always come back. People like to be remembered, they like to feel special.” Then she offered me her hand. “I’m Elsa, by the way. I own this place.”

From then on, I was more than happy to accompany Kaelyn on her “visits” to Dean’s place (please don’t ask me what she and Dean did during their visiting, because I don’t know, and you shouldn’t be such a busy body either!). I hung out at the Art Cafe, drinking coffee, flipping through fashion magazines other tai-tais left behind, and chatted with Elsa.

I found out that Elsa had an apartment on the block above her shop, and her nephew stayed with her as he was studying at a college nearby. She found out how much I envied the residences at the plaza, and wouldn’t stop laughing when I told her about waking up to the smell of coffee and fresh bread.

“You can’t smell the coffee when you’re up on the 10th floor, silly!”

.......................................................................♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I stopped visiting Plaza Damas and the Art Cafe when Kaelyn and Dean broke up. At the same time, I joined Shearn Delamore & Co. as a Junior Lawyer, and my social life became as exciting as chewing on granola muesli bars – dry and tasteless. I had breakfast with law journals, lunch with my faithful laptop, and my weekends – what weekends? Yup, I know, my life is so sad.

Then one morning, as I dragged my poor exhausted body out of bed after a miserable 5 hours of sleep, I received an sms from Elsa.

Hey stranger wat u been up 2? Miss u.
Btw how
would u like to wake up to the
smell of coffee and fresh bread @ the price
of $500 a month?

.......................................................................♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I moved in to Elsa’s by Christmas that year. Apparently Elsa’s nephew had left for London to finish his studies, and the place felt a little too quiet, and Elsa thought of me (and my silly ‘wake-up-to-the-smell-of-coffee-and-fresh-bread’)! How cool was that? She even asked what color walls I would like, since she was repainting the room to cover up her nephew’s creative graffiti expression. I forgot what her nephew was studying, but it was definitely not art.

Now, I looked around the room, not exactly sure what to feel. Since Bambi moved in, this place hasn’t felt as comfortable as compared to when I had the whole room to myself. But that was to be expected. I also know that I can’t be staying here forever, however much I like the place, but I never expected to have to leave just yet.

I have just a bit over four weeks! Four weeks to find a new place, pack everything up and move in, unpack and settle down and make new friends with new neighbors… It’s a wonder I’m not having a panic attack yet!

Sigh… I could blame Bambi, but I know I need to take some responsibility for what happened too. Elsa’s privacy was compromised, and that shouldn’t have been the case. Worse of all, it wasn’t the first time Elsa had caught Bambi bringing a man home, and I didn’t even know about that!

I really don’t know exactly what made me take in Bambi without asking too much questions. Ok, maybe I do know why, just a bit, but I don’t have to tell you about it, do I? I mean, it’s no biggy, really, just that this guy at work –

Oh hang on, this just came in.

(You have received a new email message from Kaelyn Yang.)

To: Tutu
From: Kaelyn
Subject: Aquarius this week

Hey Tu! I know I know, you’re probably going to send me another screaming email about flooding your inbox with horoscope predictions and stuffs, but I found this one which sounded really really relevant to your current situation! It looks like you’ll probably find a new place to move in to as soon as Wednesday!

Aquarius (January 21 ~ February 19)
Money, money, money may be coming your way, if you can set a few plans in motion. The New Moon in Pisces is your chance of a fresh new beginning. You have two weeks to get sorted out and do your stuff. But there is a word of warning. You have until Wednesday to sign any new contracts, but after that it is best to wait until Mercury turns direct once again in a few weeks, otherwise there will be a number of changes to any agreements that have been made, and more obstacles than usual.

I’ve also mentioned to my family and a few people at work, and they agreed to help keep a look out for any rooms to rent. I’m sure something will come up soon! Call me if you need to chat, ya?

Luv, Lyn

No comments: