Monday, July 31, 2006

Chapter 8

From: julianne.npt@sd.com
To: tutu.t@sd.com
Sent: Tuesday, 25 July 2006
Subject: While I’m Away

Tutu,
Please look into and/or follow up on the followings while I’m away on vacation. Any problem just contact Ean or Mei Lin.

1. Meeting with Mr. Tan from BKL, Tuesday, 1 Aug, 10am @ BKL office – present proposed Investment Plan – the binder is on my table.
2. Meeting with Dr. Rosa-Mary, Tuesday, 1 Aug, 2pm @ her office on Jln. Ampang – hand over the merger documents.
3. Have discussion with Ean regarding the D&C case, and compile report.
4. Finalize the Lee & Partners report by Friday, 4 Aug.
5. Assist Mei Lin with MMP’s franchising licenset, to be submitted in by … … …
6. Start on … … …
7. Call … … …
8. …
9.
10.




Thanks sweets! I’ll get you some souvs from Bali! Will miss you!

Regards,
Julianne Ng
Senior Legal Assistant
SD & Co.



“You look lost.”

I look up from my monitor screen to find Ean perching at the edge of the desk opposite mine. The desk is unoccupied, and my files and binders have somehow spilled over to cover half of the surface. It’s no surprise, considering how much I have to do. It’s a wonder no one has sounded me yet about tidying up the mess. But I really should straighten up the mess a bit. What is that saying, about a neat work station leading to higher work productivity?

Agh, what-ever.

I turn back to Ean. He’s looking smart, as usual. Today’s combination is black trousers team with a lavender-colored shirt and purple and silver stripe tie. I don’t know many guys who look good in lavenders.

I glance down at my wrinkled grey Zara skirt. Ugh, let’s not go there.

“I have good reason to be lost.” I say to Ean while swiveling the monitor screen towards him. He scans through it thoughtfully before giving a short laugh, shakes his head and gives my hand a squeeze.

“Tu, relax! All of us received the same email! Jules probably just changed our names around and send it to each of us.” At my mouth-open stare, he squeezes my hand again. “C’mon, it’s lunch time. The others are going to Madam Kwan’s. Do you want to join them, or would you like to spend some quiet time with me?”

I look around to make sure no one heard his outrageous remark, before slapping him on the thigh. He didn’t even flinch, the insufferable flirt!

Pushing away from the desk, I reach for my bag and say to him. “I am grabbing a bite at O’briens, and then I’m going to browse the bookshop. You can spend your quiet time with anyone you choose.” And then I walk out the office without looking back.

I need a break. I know I keep saying that, but I really need a break. Why can’t I be the one flying off to Bali for two weeks, and do nothing but spend my days on the beach with a good book, and my nights with a good man (if they really do exist!). This past month, I feel myself perching at the edge. I can, and will, fall off very soon. The only thing holding me together now is – is…? What? I don’t even know. I truly am losing it!!

“Hey, wait, check this out!”

I didn’t realize Ean is following behind me until he grabs my arm and stops me from walking out the door.

“Wh- ?”

I almost lost my balance, being so absorbed in my going-over-the-edge thoughts and all. The tip of my heel slips off the polished granite of the reception area, and I feel myself starting my oh-so-ungraceful descend onto the cold hard floor, right there, at the entrance of our office, for all to see. Ta-da!!

But I never hit the floor.

As smoothly as only Ean is able to manage, he slips his arm around my waist and catches me even before I start calling “Mummy!” – something which sort of happens in auto-pilot mode, whenever I go into a sudden panic, like now. Hm, how girlish, I know, but really, it’s an unconscious habit; the remnants of my childhood, when, as­ a little girl, I would call out for my mom whenever there was a problem.

But mummy won’t be able to help me this time. Here I am, sort of at a 45 degree angle to the floor, with one leg in mid air (the one responsible for me slipping in the first place), my bag dangling lopsided off my shoulder, and my arms flaying at my side ‘cos I am not sure where to put them – to grab on to Ean’s muscular biceps, or wind themselves helplessly around his neck? Oh, I really am not trying to play “Gone with the Wind” at the office reception, but, boy, what a picture we must make!
And it is, without question, that there is the “eye thing” happening. You know, when a man and a woman end up in this unexpected position that they will spend a breathless hour or two staring into each others eyes. And the entire world disappears as they become aware only of each other, sinking into the depths…

What is happening!?

I quickly straighten myself, put my midair-hanging feet firmly back onto the ground, grab the straps of my bag and hold on to them with both hands (just to keep them busy), then take three big steps backwards, away from Rhett, I mean Ean. Oh god, why am I panting for air? Nothing happened! Nothing!

“You ok?”

Mm hm, I manage a nod.

“You sure?” Is that laughter in his eyes?

I nod again. That’s all I can do, stupidly enough.

Then he shrugs, oh so casually, and turns to the notice board next to the reception desk. It is then I finally notice the poster with the words “Annual Holiday” stamped across the top. Next to the text is the image of a coconut tree, white sand, a cruise ship, blue sky and even bluer water. Hey, that looks like my holiday!

“It says here that it’ll be taking place during National Day’s week, and it’s for all staffs from the ‘Corporate-Commercial’ and the ‘Finance-Property’ departments. That’s us! I heard some of the secretaries talking about it this morning, but didn’t realize it’s happening so soon.” He turns to me, who am still standing stupidly behind him, “something to look forward to, huh?”

I manage a smile. “Hm, yeah, definitely.”

Ean nods in agreement, and, after another glance at the poster, tilts his head towards the door.
“Shall we?”

“Huh?”

I receive a questioning look. “Lunch? You wanted to grab a sandwich on the way to the bookshop, right?”

“Oh ya. Of course. Sure.”

“Lets go then.”

“Ya. Ok.”

Ya. So Intelligent, Tutu!

1 comment:

Tutu said...

Many are asking about Ean and wanting to see how he looks like. I'll try to catch a picture of him. In fact I did a couple of times, but he somehow always manages to escape from the camera! I guess I'll just have to try harder! :)